View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 11:53 AM
Wolvark Grenadier

Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7747)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddjobAbe View Post
To be fair, in AE, some of the puzzles leave essentially zero room for the slightest error - I'm thinking of the secret where you have to trap the scrab behind a barrier, lead the mudokons onto the lift and then free everybody before the meat saws on the next screen kill them (I think that's one of the secrets in the scrab vaults?). I always need to practice a few times to nail the timing of those sorts of puzzles, especially since I play them maybe once every few years.
What you describe is very true, but it's a consequence of having a feature that can numb down the difficulty significantly. A workaround of sorts. I don't personally consider that good design philosophy. Think of the concept of quiksaving frequently in the middle of a puzzle just so you don't die from overly tight puzzle timings.

Quote:
In the case of NnT though, I find things like saws challenging because succesfully rolling under some of them feels like a fluke which I can't easily replicate - I think it's a combination of there being a slight delay between my action and Abe's animation and the lack of a grid. I liked Nnt, but I always found this a bit tiresome.
Well, in the initial release, meatsaws were tied to the framerate, so they were literally impossible under some circumstances.