Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

Old 10-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Posts walls of text

Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I shudder to think what they'd look like with the new, more realistic art style.
HD tongue textures with realistic wet saliva shaders…

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

Old 10-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)

And the tongue would have octopus-style suckers.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Posts walls of text

Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)

I’m thinking more along the lines of barbs.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

Old 10-09-2017, 04:52 AM
Clakker Relic Miner

Scrabaniac is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (338)Scrabaniac is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (338)Scrabaniac is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (338)Scrabaniac is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (338)

If fleeches return, I'd like to see how they tackle the hitpoints.. Would abe get visible cuts/flesh tears with each hit? That would be cool to see. Especially if his "Chi" or Quarma allows self healing after a period of time

Old 10-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

JayDee will be our finest member EVER! (1269)JayDee will be our finest member EVER! (1269)JayDee will be our finest member EVER! (1269)JayDee will be our finest member EVER! (1269)JayDee will be our finest member EVER! (1269)JayDee will be our finest member EVER! (1269)JayDee will be our finest member EVER! (1269)JayDee will be our finest member EVER! (1269)JayDee will be our finest member EVER! (1269)

I think we should work the Fleeches into the crafting system and be able to use them as grappling hooks.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12775)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabaniac View Post
If fleeches return, I'd like to see how they tackle the hitpoints.. Would abe get visible cuts/flesh tears with each hit? That would be cool to see. Especially if his "Chi" or Quarma allows self healing after a period of time
I still see them killing with one hit, like natural, crawling mines. An environmental hazard rather than an enemy.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:02 AM
Formerly Scrabtrap(wo)man

STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)

I thought they depleted health over time? I'm sure because Abe's voice used to get higher and higher the more they licked him.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Sekto's Security Wolvark

Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)

They do. Nate's saying he wants their behavior in Soulstorm to be different.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Fuzzle

Yokai keeps ya spleen toasty (129)Yokai keeps ya spleen toasty (129)

Well, I'm gonna have nightmares of fleeches for a while...
Old 10-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Bolamite

CravenKnight managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabaniac View Post
years ago i read a magazine article about MO way before it was released and before the whole shitstorm with EA when OWI had to change plans. iirc they originally wanted the muds to be able to get visible scars and shit from the incidents they would get themselves into, along with ageing too (unless i'm getting this mixed up with HoO or something). in the mag it showed these two images alongside eachother as if it was a before-and-after example.

there was no text in the images though so i assumed at the time that the red bumps and stuff were supposed to be the in-game scars after healing or something, plus emaciation due to ageing. obviously everything changed with MO after that though, but still. I CAN DREAM

so yeah maybe we'll get visible hitpoints. would be interesting.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by STM View Post
I thought they depleted health over time? I'm sure because Abe's voice used to get higher and higher the more they licked him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepsotic View Post
They do. Nate's saying he wants their behavior in Soulstorm to be different.
Yes, and no. And no.

It's not really depleting health so much as it takes a certain number of licks before you get swallowed. I'm fine with that mechanic staying in place. I just don't think that Fleeches should do general damage to you - a Fleech licking you shouldn't affect whether the next bullet kills you, and vice versa.

And, yes, I knew when I posted my last reply that I was glossing over some details. This'll teach me to be lazy and not include all valid disclaimers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenKnight View Post
years ago i read a magazine article about MO way before it was released and before the whole shitstorm with EA when OWI had to change plans. iirc they originally wanted the muds to be able to get visible scars and shit from the incidents they would get themselves into, along with ageing too (unless i'm getting this mixed up with HoO or something). in the mag it showed these two images alongside eachother as if it was a before-and-after example.
Alf said that while they liked the idea, it wasn't much fun to actually play as an injured Abe. So while scars might be a nice idea, I doubt that anything more intense than that would happen.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Sekto's Security Wolvark

Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)Nepsotic is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3349)

Quote:
It's not really depleting health so much as it takes a certain number of licks before you get swallowed.
No way, I always figured they were stabbing you with their tongues or something, I guess they're just tasting you. Abe does have a health pool though, right? Otherwise how do the bees work, same as Fleeches?

Old 10-11-2017, 10:14 AM

STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5689)

I am inclined to agree with Nep here, I'm sure in Necrum Abe could only sustain a certain number of licks in one path. So like, nine licks from one fleech or nine licks from nine fleeches would kill him, or whatever the golden number is.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

You guys miss my point. Hypothetically if Abe got licked three times by a fleech, then got stung by bees, it wouldn't take fewer stings to kill him. It's not a general health bar, it's a 'How many times did I get licked by a fleech?' bar. Death by fleech should be because you got swallowed, not because they injured you and ate the corpse.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Zappfly

burgrr managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (11)

Quote:
You guys miss my point. Hypothetically if Abe got licked three times by a fleech, then got stung by bees, it wouldn't take fewer stings to kill him. It's not a general health bar, it's a 'How many times did I get licked by a fleech?' bar. Death by fleech should be because you got swallowed, not because they injured you and ate the corpse.
what I'm getting is that Abe has seperate, full 'health bars' for non-instakill damage sources and when any one of them is completely depleted, he dies. Am I on track?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:04 PM
Bolamite

CravenKnight managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgrr View Post
what I'm getting is that Abe has seperate, full 'health bars' for non-instakill damage sources and when any one of them is completely depleted, he dies. Am I on track?
sort of. you can think of it like having a fleech healthbar and a bee sting healthbar if you want but don't forget it resets when you leave the area and enter a new one. let's say for the sake of argument that it takes 5 fleech licks or 5 bee stings before you're killed (abe being killed on the fifth lick/sting), if you were licked 3 times before leaving the area that doesn't mean you go through the next area with only 2 hit points left on your 'fleech healthbar' or whatever, it just resets.

so you could get licked 4 times, leave the area and enter a new one and get licked another 4 times without dying. same goes for bee stings. if you can get off the screen into a new area without dying then your 'healthbars' reset.

on the other hand mudokons might have a permanent healthbar when they start slapping each other or go suicidal, and that doesn't reset as far as i know. then again i've never tried leaving the area and coming back to them so maybe that would reset their healthbar. don't quote me on this tho cuz i have no fucking idea.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
got u fam. Also I agree.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 AM
Boombat Seeker

kjjcarpenter has learned amuch throughout their quest (704)kjjcarpenter has learned amuch throughout their quest (704)kjjcarpenter has learned amuch throughout their quest (704)kjjcarpenter has learned amuch throughout their quest (704)kjjcarpenter has learned amuch throughout their quest (704)kjjcarpenter has learned amuch throughout their quest (704)kjjcarpenter has learned amuch throughout their quest (704)

I think this is relevant to the conversation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan
When characters are damaged in Munch’s Oddysee, will they show signs of injury? For instance, say Abe wandered where he shouldn’t again and was shot. Even if he’s only holding onto life by a thread, will he still be able to run and jump at his maximum potential, or will he be forced to hobble around at a horrendously reduced speed? Just wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
That’s one of the things that didn’t make the cut for this game. Look for some kind of visible damage in Munch 2. We have really cool concept art on one or our conference room walls. Right now, the thinking in the designers’ dungeon is that slowing down abe or munch when they hurt isn’t much fun, but they’ve changed their minds before…
Ergo, don't be surprised if physical damage indication weaves its way into Soulstorm or future instalments.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Wolvark Grenadier

Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7498)

Since Unity has lacking to non-existing decal support, there would be no dynamic bruises etc. on creatures.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Oddworld Inhabitant

OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrok View Post
Since Unity has lacking to non-existing decal support, there would be no dynamic bruises etc. on creatures.
No comment on Soulstorm, but we used decals throughout New 'n' Tasty.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Chippunk

Wircea managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWI_Alex View Post
Decals placed by the map editor are nothing compared to those that dynamically appear during gameplay (e.g blood splatter on walls if blowing an enemy near it).

The latter add a lot to the visuals and feels in a game. Should consider that.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Stunk

SlashClaw managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (12)

Quote:
cool now how about some more details about that Slig civil war
Old 10-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Sleg

FrustratedAssassin has learned amuch throughout their quest (607)FrustratedAssassin has learned amuch throughout their quest (607)FrustratedAssassin has learned amuch throughout their quest (607)FrustratedAssassin has learned amuch throughout their quest (607)FrustratedAssassin has learned amuch throughout their quest (607)FrustratedAssassin has learned amuch throughout their quest (607)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrok View Post
They also said they spent a lot of money to customize Unity, it's not like they're just going with the stock engine.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Outlaw Cutter

Vlam didn't even know they have a destiny (781)Vlam didn't even know they have a destiny (781)Vlam didn't even know they have a destiny (781)Vlam didn't even know they have a destiny (781)Vlam didn't even know they have a destiny (781)Vlam didn't even know they have a destiny (781)Vlam didn't even know they have a destiny (781)

It comes down to this question about Fat Kraken: is this game development studio (composed of former JAW employees) talented enough?

Old 10-13-2017, 06:38 AM
Oddworld Inhabitant

OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)OWI_Alex didn't even know they have a destiny (841)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlam View Post
It comes down to this question about Fat Kraken: is this game development studio (composed of former JAW employees) talented enough?
Fat Kraken aren't doing the dev. That's Sabotage, mostly, and Frima of course. And me. And some others.

Fat Kraken are mostly on art, LD, documentation, and so on. And I personally think they're fab.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Oddworld Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wircea View Post
Decals placed by the map editor are nothing compared to those that dynamically appear during gameplay (e.g blood splatter on walls if blowing an enemy near it).

The latter add a lot to the visuals and feels in a game. Should consider that.
Alright.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:38 PM
Fuzzle

Auriel heeds the wisdom of the storystones (167)Auriel heeds the wisdom of the storystones (167)

Wasn't there supposed to be an entire Slig subplot in this game? I can't imagine that working out without any sligs.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Zappfly

Meowium99 managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auriel View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be an entire Slig subplot in this game? I can't imagine that working out without any sligs.
Heh. No sligs probably wouldn't work, especially with the whole "Abe throwing over the monarchy" as Lorne 'effectively' said in the presentation at EGX.
If you missed the presentation, it's up on YouTube. It's worth a watch if you're a big fan.