Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion > Oddworld Mods & Hacks

Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Thudslug

Nemin heeds the wisdom of the storystones (199)Nemin heeds the wisdom of the storystones (199)
Default How to modify NnT's camera to use Orthographic Projection

Hi!
A few people from the OWF discord and myself spent a few hours today digging around in NnT's source code and we found a way to disable the dynamic camera and instead use a static one, which is more faithful to AO.

Preview:

Here are the instructions, how you can do the same:

1. Download dnSpy.
You don't need any of the Unity packages, just the "dnSpy.zip"

2. After unzipping open dnSpy.exe, press File -> Open.

3. Navigate to the Game's folder and then open "NNT_Data/Managed".

4. Select the four "Assembly-" DLL-s.

5. Open "Assembly-CSharp -> Assembly-CSharp.dll -> "-" (the hyphen) -> DynamicCamera".

6. Open the "Awake()" function.

7. Right click -> Edit Method and insert this two lines just below the first one:
Code:
this.cCamera.isOrthoGraphic = true;
this.cCamera.orthographicSize = 8f;

(Optionally: After finishing the other file, mess with the 8f to find the most desirable zoom level.)

8. In DynamicCamera find "LastUpdate()" function and Right click -> Edit Method. Scroll to the bottom of the file and just before the last line insert this:
Code:
base.transform.rotation = Quaternion.identity;

9. Press Ctrl+Shift+S, don't change any of the settings, press OK.

10. You're done! Start NnT.

[Disclamer: I don't know if the game can actually be finished using this projection, but it's a fun thing to try.]

https://oddwords.hu - My essays and other Oddworld-related content.

Last edited by Nemin; 04-03-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Chippunk

Wircea does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (54)

Should be mentioned that the perspective will get messed up due to the foreground and background bending. Some particles such as the electric gates and smoke will not render.
Also be warned the game will get trippy every time the camera rotates.

Only do this for some nice screencaps

Old 04-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Rabid Fuzzle

Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (794)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (794)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (794)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (794)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (794)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (794)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (794)

I think this is the first mod ever made for NnT. As already said in Discord good job to both of ya

Old 04-04-2018, 03:09 AM
Oddworld Inhabitant

OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)

While obviously we can't support mods officially, this is quite interesting.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:11 AM
Wolvark Grenadier

Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)

I'd love to see Soulstorm like that
Old 04-04-2018, 04:09 AM
Oddworld Inhabitant

OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)OWI_Alex is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1039)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrok View Post
I'd love to see Soulstorm like that
I doubt DynCam would be so easy to break this time around, given we're not using it!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:15 AM
Wolvark Grenadier

Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7711)

I mean, with ortographic camera

edit: as in, by design

Last edited by Varrok; 04-04-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Old 04-04-2018, 01:45 PM
Formely Samlaptop95

Samtastic keeps ya spleen toasty (109)Samtastic keeps ya spleen toasty (109)

That is really cool! Someone was recommending I should use that camera for the bird portal for my fan Abe game. I could use it for one of the levels in the game maybe!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:45 PM
Wolvark Grenadier

I think it needs clarifying:
The camera in the mod is still dynamical, it follows Abe. It's just that it doesn't rotate in Z axis to keep the 2D view of the scenes. It's not as static as in AO/AE in a way that it quickly switches between "screens" when you reach an edge