Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 AM
Rabid Fuzzle

MeechCrunchies is on a roll now (220)MeechCrunchies is on a roll now (220)MeechCrunchies is on a roll now (220)
Default What improvements do we want in Soulstorm over New 'n Tasty?

I personally just want the overall speed of every animation slowed down, the sound effects of Slogs, Scrabs and Paramites restored (Is it even possible at this point? ), the volume balancing issues fixed, better music cues and the tension through atmospheric sound restored ( Like when you can hear an enemy but can't see them then the way the game uncomfortably clears its own throat as if telling you some shits about to go down.) I also loved how pants shittingly tense the music got right before something such as a slog chase or Scrab sections where you put yourself in danger. And please for the love of Odd, if Soulstorm is going to be as dark as we've seen, can there just please be less talking from Sligs and Mudokons? You can somewhat restore the tension from the originals by turning voice volume down but it really breaks the flow when you can no longer hear gamespeak because of it. Could it be possible to turn idle chatter off? Would it ever be possible to have an improved control scheme or configurable one on consoles?

What do you guys think could be improved?

Old 02-17-2017, 06:05 AM
Oddworld Inhabitant

owi_alex has learned amuch throughout their quest (658)owi_alex has learned amuch throughout their quest (658)owi_alex has learned amuch throughout their quest (658)owi_alex has learned amuch throughout their quest (658)owi_alex has learned amuch throughout their quest (658)owi_alex has learned amuch throughout their quest (658)

You do realise Soulstorm is a different game than New 'n' Tasty, right?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Rabid Fuzzle

MeechCrunchies is on a roll now (220)MeechCrunchies is on a roll now (220)MeechCrunchies is on a roll now (220)

Well, of course, but unless the game has switched engines, it's fair to assume that it would be running the same software just much improved. These are the issues that for me, and I believe some of us here on the forum as well, personally really kind of took away from the immersion of NnT, and I honestly hope they're not present in Soulstorm. I'm going to play it regardless, but I just hope that as a whole our two cents can at least reach the right ears, and even if it doesn't happen, we still love that you guys take the time to listen to your fans.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Wolvark Grenadier

Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7177)

I approve of MeechCrunchies's suggestions
Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM
Outlaw Shooter

Connell didn't even know they have a destiny (969)Connell didn't even know they have a destiny (969)Connell didn't even know they have a destiny (969)Connell didn't even know they have a destiny (969)Connell didn't even know they have a destiny (969)Connell didn't even know they have a destiny (969)Connell didn't even know they have a destiny (969)Connell didn't even know they have a destiny (969)

I do also. Every point, but I'm pretty sure they've seen them before and (hopefully) taken them on board by this point though.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Outlaw Cutter

Vlam has learned amuch throughout their quest (620)Vlam has learned amuch throughout their quest (620)Vlam has learned amuch throughout their quest (620)Vlam has learned amuch throughout their quest (620)Vlam has learned amuch throughout their quest (620)Vlam has learned amuch throughout their quest (620)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owi_alex View Post
Soulstorm will still be using Unity, right?

Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Cheesecake Apocalypse

Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3981)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owi_alex View Post
Well, we don't have a lot of information about the game engine yet so that's how speculation happens. Right now we're all assuming it's going to run on the same engine as NnT. But please, by all means prove us wrong

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Last edited by Havoc; 02-17-2017 at 12:05 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Formerly J_dude320

JayDee is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1122)JayDee is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1122)JayDee is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1122)JayDee is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1122)JayDee is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1122)JayDee is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1122)JayDee is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1122)JayDee is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1122)JayDee is gonna need an ass the size of a truck to fit this rep (1122)

I'm unsure how much of New N Tasty's engine belongs to JAW, if any, so I've always been skeptical of it running on the same one as NnT. But yeah, we only know about Soulstorm the things we've been told so far, so I can understand people being unsure how exactly the two games are related developmently and engine-wise.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Posts walls of text

Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13668)

Can we clarify what everyone means by “engine”? Because I feel like some people are using it to mean Unity while others are talking about the mechanics of NNT that are built on Unity.

If Soulstorm is built on NNT’s code, then I can think of a fair few improvements that OWI could make to that to make the game better, most of which were listed by the OP. If it’s a clean slate, then it’s difficult to say until we see what’s new and how much is based on the previous games.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

Old 02-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Rabid Fuzzle

kjjcarpenter is getting this party started, handsome (460)kjjcarpenter is getting this party started, handsome (460)kjjcarpenter is getting this party started, handsome (460)kjjcarpenter is getting this party started, handsome (460)kjjcarpenter is getting this party started, handsome (460)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeechCrunchies View Post
What do you guys think could be improved?
The only thing I wanted from New 'n' Tasty was more story. Soulstorm is delivering. I am content.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Howler Punk

Gunnr keeps ya spleen toasty (102)Gunnr keeps ya spleen toasty (102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjcarpenter View Post
The only thing I wanted from New 'n' Tasty was more story. Soulstorm is delivering. I am content.
x2

Old Today, 08:27 AM
Fuzzle

Fischkopf does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (87)

I would love for tile-based movement to return and it really needs some better animations. Also I would like a more dark and gritty atmosphere because New N Tasty was way too bright and colorful, but the screenshots and interviews already suggest it's gonna have a more dark tone anyway, both story and gameplay-wise which is great. And they need to cut down on the silliness factor.
Old Today, 08:48 AM
Bola Blast

V_O_T is getting this party started, handsome (431)V_O_T is getting this party started, handsome (431)V_O_T is getting this party started, handsome (431)V_O_T is getting this party started, handsome (431)V_O_T is getting this party started, handsome (431)

Everything mentioned in this thread.

I personally would like more of this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyov...Kmw3W0uLu8IXlj

That minimalist ambience with just abes foot steps only being heard in a thick desolate jungle. Its like ASMR to me when this type of music plays in the right setting.

No one makes soundtracks like OWI does.