I think a lot of good points were brought up in the "Hopes for Soulstorm?
" thread, but I'll just go over some of the main things I'd like to see this time around:
- Better sound mixing: OG Oddworld had great sound design, so it was a shame to see them neglect this in New 'n' Tasty. Certain sound clips wouldn't even play at times.
- Better falling physics: The biggest buzzkiller for me was how sloppy Abe felt when you ran off of a ledge in NnT. He dropped at a 90 degree angle and it just felt so awkward. I would've enjoyed NnT a lot more if the control was just a bit smoother.
- Abe's old chant particles back: did anyone else think it was a bit weird that Abe had the "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" logo around him when he chanted? Seriously, I wish I could unsee this.
All of that being said though, New 'n' Tasty did quite a few things well that I think they could take to the next step:
- New 'n' Tasty made Oddworld more accessible: Password segments in NnT now have visual cues to go along with them:
To be honest, these do look out of place visually, but they're a good addition for players who may have hearing impairments. My older brother is hearing impaired and has been playing games for ages but he's often said that the Password locks in OG Oddworld are almost impossible for him without putting in the cheatcode to skip them. Adding visual cues is a good way to solve that issue, but there should be an option to turn it on and off just for people that don't want it. I think they could take this even further by adding subtitles for all gamespeak and in-game flavour dialogue.
- New 'n' Tasty provided more control options: granted this was due to public outcry, but it was a nice touch. I think they should take this further by adding fully customisable button mapping (Every game should have this tbh
Anyway, I just wrote a goddamn thesis for a game we haven't even seen footage of yet :/