Please read the rules/guidelines (see below) before posting on this thread.
First of all: Many, many thanks to Paul
for their hard work making the level editors for us, and to others who have helped. Also, thanks to Chubfish
for writing a brilliant tutorial on how to use LIJI’s editor. If it weren’t for these guys, none of this would be possible.
This thread is for people to upload their edited levels (variations
) for others to download and enjoy. Please use this thread as much as possible, so that we can all enjoy each other’s variations, and give good feedback on how variations can be improved.
The tools and instructions needed for editing levels can be found on the ‘.lvl files’ thread: page #35/post#1,022 (for LIJI’s v2.0 editor), page #36/post #1,065 (for Chubfish’s tutorial for LIJI’s v2.0 editor) and page #47/post #1391 (for Paul’s v0.4 editor).
1. If you are going to post a level, make sure that it is long and interesting enough for it to not be a waste of time.
2. Make sure that your upload is the .lvl file that is needed. E.g.: ‘e1.lvl’. Put the file into a .zip folder, then upload it.
3. If you have changed your variation slightly after posting it (e.g.: added a mine and moved a mudokon), then edit your original post instead of posting a new one. If you have edited, specify that you have done so.
4. You must not
make your variation impossible! However, the very last screen of your variation may
be impossible to make it clear where it ends.
5. You can give feedback for variations. Make sure it is clear whom you give feedback to. If the feedback is negative, make sure that you specify why you think the level is bad so that they know how to improve.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR UPLOAD POST
Ones in YELLOW you must do. You can do the other ones if you want to.
1. Make sure that you specify what game(s) + level(s) + area(s) you have edited. E.g.: ‘The edited levels are: Abe’s Exoddus, Slig Barracks, Block 3 and Slig Barracks, Ender.’ If you can’t specify an exact area of a level, say roughly how far through the level it is. E.g.: ‘The edited level is: Abe’s Oddysee, Paramonia, the middle part.’ Go into more detail if you need to. E.g.: ‘The edited level is: Abe’s Oddysee, RuptureFarmsII, Zulag 3, Door 2.’ Be as specific as possible, so that people are not wasting time trying to find the part(s) you have edited. Also, be clear to whether it is RuptureFarms I or II.
2. Specify which editor you are using, either Paul’s or LIJI’s.
3. Say who made the variation, or if anyone helped you, and give their name if possible. If you made it yourself, don’t bother with this bit.
4. Say how long the variation took you to make, so that we can appreciate the quality of the variation. E.g.: ‘This took me 3 hours in total.’
5. Upload your .lvl file(s) onto it, of course. Make sure that it is/they are the appropriate one(s) for your variation. Put them into a .zip file, or put ‘.zip’ at the end of the file name if you want to.
6. Say roughly how difficult the variation is, if it were to be played normally without any cheating (i.e.: using the dd-cheat/no-clipping/abe_it_is_me_your_father, whatever you want to call it). Also, mention how much more difficult it is/if it is possible to save all of the mudokons or not on your variation. Use a term from the scale below so that we are all on the same scale of difficulty:
- BEGINNER: Can be completed without any trouble. Equivalent difficulty to: RuptureFarms I.
- EASY: Some may struggle with these ones, but they are still pretty easy in general. Equivalent difficulty to: Free Fire Zone/Wastelands after Stockyard Escape in AO.
- MEDIUM: Not easy, but not hard. Many may struggle with these ones and your Oddworld skills will be tested. Equivalent difficulty to: Slig Barracks.
- HARD: These variations may frustrate you! Some may not even be able to complete them. Your Oddworld skills will be strained. Equivalent difficulty to: The difficult Secret Areas we see in Exodus.
- INSANE: You’ll be ripping your hair out trying to complete these ones! They are nearly impossible, but the ones who have mastered Oddworld may be able to get by…
Equivalent difficulty to: No part of Oddworld is this difficult! These are more difficult than anything we’ve seen in Oddworld! NB: Don’t make them impossible!
Try to vary the difficulties as much as possible guys. If you see loads of easy ones, and barely any harder ones, then try to make some harder ones.
Please follow these rules/guidelines if you want to use this thread. It’s not difficult. The rules are there for a reason: so that this thread is really easy to use and so that everyone can fully appreciate each other’s variations.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD AND PLAY ON OTHER PEOPLE’S VARIATIONS
1. Download the file(s) that you want (put them onto the desktop for now, for ease).
2. Unzip them, if they are in a .zip file. Or remove the file extension from the end of the file name (e.g.: ‘e1.lvl.zip’, just get rid of the ‘.zip’).
If you haven’t already done so; go into the ‘Oddworld Abe’s Oddysee’ and ‘Oddworld Abe’s Exoddus’ folder, and all of the original .lvl files you see, copy them into a separate, safe folder so that you do not lose the original game files
! If you don’t really know where the folders are, look in ‘C:\Program Files’. You should find them there if you haven’t moved them.
4. Replace the appropriate .lvl file(s) in your ‘Oddworld Abe’s Oddysee’ or ‘Oddworld Abe’s Exoddus’ folder with the one(s) that you have downloaded.
5. Now start up the game, find the area(s) that are edited, and enjoy! To quickly go to the appropriate level from the main menu screen (on either game), use the following cheat: While depressing [SHIFT], use the arrow keys to quickly press: down, right, left, right, left, right, left, up.
Enjoy this thread guys. I very much look forward to us seeing and trying each other’s variations. Again: many thanks to those who have made this possible.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if there's anything you disagree with.
Jango – Oxford, UK.