Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 05-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Super Stingbee

Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)
Default What are you reading? III

You heard me, let's make this thing real again.

Previous versions:
-Version I
-Version II

so What'cha readin uh??

Comics? Books? Audiobooks? Suicide guides?
Here's what I read recently:
I've read Goodnight Punpun, a 13 volumes manga written and illustrated by Inio Asano. It's about a little birb who gets through his life. Don't think it could be an innocent reading, it gets darker and darker slowly.
Even so, I think you should all read it, especially if you hate your life or yourself. It makes you think about life importance a little imo.

So? How about you guys?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Wolvark Grenadier

Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7576)

A post on OWF.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Riot Slug

Gunnr is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (382)Gunnr is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (382)Gunnr is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (382)Gunnr is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (382)

Lone Eagal by Danielle Steel. It's a love story during ww2, yo.

Last edited by Gunnr; 05-21-2017 at 09:29 AM..
Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Fuzzle

Vexen is on a roll now (293)Vexen is on a roll now (293)Vexen is on a roll now (293)

The Gun Slinger and Relativity: The Special and the General Theory. I must say, physics has been turned on its side for me. Classical and Newtonian physics broke down right before my eyes in mere 3 to 4 page chapters. Seriously changing the time axis into another meter axis? Spacetime? What the fuck Einstein! It's like my innocence has been stolen from me by a German Jew who died years ago.

Last edited by Vexen; 05-21-2017 at 08:52 AM..
Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Outlaw Bomber

Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (691)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (691)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (691)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (691)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (691)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (691)

I'm currently reading Introduction to Electrodynamics by David J. Griffiths and partly Introduction to Superconductivity by Michael Tinkham. Griffiths has proven good at writing physics textbooks in the past; I recommend his introduction to quantum mechanics. This one is also quite serviceable. I've been told that Michael Tinkham's work is considered a classic, so here's hoping that's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexen View Post
The Gun Slinger and Relativity: The Special and the General Theory. I must say, physics has been turned on its side for me. Classical and Newtonian physics broke down right before my eyes in mere 3 to 4 page chapters. Seriously changing the time axis into another meter axis? Spacetime? What the fuck Einstein! It's like my innocence has been stolen from me by a German Jew who died years ago.
I read Special Relativity: A Modern Introduction myself. Coming to grips with it is an interesting experience. I remember having a lot of trouble with it myself and even now it's still sometimes confusing, or at least mathematically messy, particularly when switching from one system of reference to the next.

But when you consider alternatives, such as the ether theory? Suddenly it seems far more eloquent to go with relativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

Old 05-22-2017, 04:55 AM
Anarcho-Apiarist

STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5881)

I'm working my way through Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harrari. It's a brilliant melding of history, socio-political study and philosophy. Harrari has this incredibly dry wit that makes the book immensely enjoyable. He talks about the cognitive revolution, which gave us the ability to create grand unifying myths which in turn uphold our enormous complex societies. I think what I'm personally enjoying the most, is his use of science and philosophy to offer sharp indictments against the far right. It is definitely worth picking up, one of the best books I've ever read.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Riot Slug

Gunnr is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (382)Gunnr is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (382)Gunnr is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (382)Gunnr is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (382)

That actually does sound like a good read^

Last edited by Gunnr; 05-22-2017 at 11:42 PM..
Old 05-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Fuzzle

Vexen is on a roll now (293)Vexen is on a roll now (293)Vexen is on a roll now (293)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddey View Post
But when you consider alternatives, such as the ether theory? Suddenly it seems far more eloquent to go with relativity.
Indeed. It's interesting because the more you learn about relativity, the more you realize concepts like the luminiferous ether were mere attempts to keep physics simple and familiar (because everyone loves classical mechanics ).

Old 05-24-2017, 02:47 AM
Rabid Fuzzle

Vanilla ✜ keeps ya spleen toasty (149)Vanilla ✜ keeps ya spleen toasty (149)

Honestly, I've not read a proper book in years, the last real book I read was The Heroin Dairies by Nikki Sixx which I wouldn't recommend if you're in a dark place in your life, holy hell.
In terms of it just being a book last thing I read was Magical Girl Apocalypse, it's a super gory/action manga where Magical Girls suddenly start coming out of the sky and just murder everyone. There is a reason for the Magical Girls, that's explained later on but I only picked it up cause of the art style and premise, although the story is interesting.

"JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULIAN" - Chris O'neil.

There's also an OWF Discord,
we got mac 'n cheese and chicken nuggets,
join here.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:48 PM
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12930)

Bumping for Auriel.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:29 AM
Thudslug

Auriel is on a roll now (211)Auriel is on a roll now (211)Auriel is on a roll now (211)

t h a n k y o u
Currently reading Images of 1984. It's pretty much an anthology of fictional documents detailing an alternate version of history where the events of 1984 actually happened (taking the view that "Oceania" was an isolationist version of the UK, kind of like modern North Korea). Pretty fascinating imo if you're into that kind of thing, which you probably are if you're an Oddworld fan :P
Old 09-15-2018, 03:19 AM
Super Stingbee

Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)Phoetux has learned amuch throughout their quest (684)

1984 is one of my favorite books and this is actually pretty interesting. Seems like a good read to go