Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Zappfly

Plantixx managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (22)
Question The crafting mechanic in Soulsorm.

I just can't get it. Crafting in Oddworld? Will it be good? Or will it screw everything?
Also how it will work?

Old 12-13-2017, 04:17 AM
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12794)

We don't know.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Stingbee

Oddio managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantixx View Post
I just can't get it. Crafting in Oddworld? Will it be good? Or will it screw everything?
Also how it will work?
i can't say cuz i don't want my Idea to get stolen again...
Old 12-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Super Stingbee

Vanilla ✜ keeps ya spleen toasty (132)Vanilla ✜ keeps ya spleen toasty (132)

I just hope the game is balanced in a way where you don't need to use a crafted flamethrower to, which I believe it will be as Lorne mentioned that he wants it to be possible to get through the game without hurting anyone.

"JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULIAN" - Chris O'neil.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Formerly Scrabtrap(wo)man

STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)

As long as it's not a forced mechanic, the likes of which have plagued gaming since Minecraft emerged, I won't mind.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Super Stingbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by STM View Post
As long as it's not a forced mechanic, the likes of which have plagued gaming since Minecraft emerged, I won't mind.
Exactly my thoughts

Old 12-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Zappfly

Oddworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddio View Post
i can't say cuz i don't want my Idea to get stolen again...
I know i have wrote something that was already written (by you and i apologize) but crafting was mentioned in this video https://youtu.be/TNtg06XUwPI?t=1282 by Lorne Lanning.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Thudslug

Auriel heeds the wisdom of the storystones (171)Auriel heeds the wisdom of the storystones (171)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla ✜ View Post
I just hope the game is balanced in a way where you don't need to use a crafted flamethrower to, which I believe it will be as Lorne mentioned that he wants it to be possible to get through the game without hurting anyone.
You realize it's possible to burn things other than people right? Aside from that, I'd imagine some crafting would be essential for 100% completion.
Frankly I'm not sure why some of you guys are so against crafting (or other RPGish mechanics) making it into the game. It's not like every game in the series was ever planned to be a 2D platformer with strictly platformer mechanics.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Stingbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantixx View Post
I know i have wrote something that was already written (by you and i apologize) but crafting was mentioned in this video https://youtu.be/TNtg06XUwPI?t=1282 by Lorne Lanning.
oh hey no worries! actually i sent lorne a message on facebook about the crafting way BEFORE EGX...
Old 12-15-2017, 06:19 AM
Super Stingbee

Quote:
oh hey no worries! actually i sent lorne a message on facebook about the crafting way BEFORE EGX...
Plantixx you didn't steal anyones idea, he didn't post about it, he's just messing with you and Oddio, stop pretending to be responsible for random different things, noone believes you.

I can only speak for myself but I'm not 100%behind the idea of crafting cause I don't think it belongs but is getting forced into games none the less. I hope to be proven wrong and it totally works in Oddworld but most games that have crafting forced into them don't work too well.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:40 AM
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3562)

Quote:
Oddio, please stop taking credit for OWI's work and ideas. This isn't funny.

Consider yourself warned.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:41 AM
Spark Stunk

Michael has learned amuch throughout their quest (502)Michael has learned amuch throughout their quest (502)Michael has learned amuch throughout their quest (502)Michael has learned amuch throughout their quest (502)Michael has learned amuch throughout their quest (502)Michael has learned amuch throughout their quest (502)

I'm 50/50, will wait and see. I always loved how there were (intentionally) no HUD items in the original games, to immerse you more in the world and make things more cinematic. Obviously games and their mechanics have evolved a lot since then and crafting etc done right can be intuitive still to the point where they aren't obstructive.

But I do find personally that endless menus and upgrades, especially those branching tree unlock things, really put me off a game. I don't play many games these days, mostly I'll just make time for the series I already like, playing those for story and character over gameplay. If the mechanic is too complex, taking me out of the game and into the menu for 30 minutes at a time, I could see myself losing interest.

Something simplified and quick akin to crafting in The Last of Us, I feel could work though.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:57 AM
Stingbee

Blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Oddio, please stop taking credit for OWI's work and ideas. This isn't funny.

Consider yourself warned.
ok, i won't sue plantixx

e: wanted to add that lorne is my FRIEND on facebook
Old 12-15-2017, 08:18 AM
Formerly Scrabtrap(wo)man

STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5692)

Pretty sure 90% of the forum is friends with Lorne on Facebook.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Super Stingbee

Quote:
And I'm 100% sure you can't sue someone for making a thread similar to one your sock puppet made.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Stingbee

Sad

Quote:
oh, i thought i was a special snowflake
Old 12-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Fuzzle

Silver angel does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (59)

I can't even connect crafting with Oddworld gameplay we know. For what will it be used? Metroidvania-like open world: "You can't walk through here right now, find this and this, make the third something from them, and then go back"? Or there will be puzzles like in adventure games? No ideas at all. I better whait till game came out, let anything that will be there, be surprise for me.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Thudslug

Auriel heeds the wisdom of the storystones (171)Auriel heeds the wisdom of the storystones (171)

Quote:
oh, i thought i was a special snowflake
Well you're definitely special, dunno about snowflake

Anyway, I'm sure the mechanic will be implemented in such a way that it doesn't feel overly out-of-place in an Oddworld came. The way I see it, Oddworld was always meant to have an ecosystemy feel, so why not incorporate a variety of gameplay styles to accomplish that?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Stingbee

CravenKnight does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (77)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auriel View Post
Well you're definitely special, dunno about snowflake
omg stop bullying you evil biatch everyones special

very very special
Old 12-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Zappfly

Enough of this! I made this thread to make a peaceful discussion and see people's opinion.
NOT BULLYING PEOPLE AND USING IT AS A PUBLIC CHAT! :,(