Abe and angry mudokons, Soulstorm Brewery, Abe’s Exoddus
You now have a cookie.
Right, in an effort to keep fancorner a clean, tidy and happy place to be, we have a list of guidelines we’d like all people to follow so that everyone can enjoy the forum to its best.
Please read all of these rules and make sure you understand them as it will improve the fancorner experience for all.
All of these rules also apply to Non-Oddworld Art and Literature (unless otherwise stated).
Section 1: The rules in brief
Section 2: The Rules in detail
1. Do not post distasteful material
- Do not post distasteful material
- Do not post pornographic material
- Only post your own work
- Ensure that what you are posting is worth posting.
- Do not post requests for people to make a game you cannot make yourself.
- Guidelines on double-posting
- Guidelines on thread necromancy
- Guidelines for posting art
- Guidelines for posting and viewing fangames
The aim of the fancorner is for everyone to enjoy themselves, sharing their contributions to the great Oddworld universe. Please use discretion when posting things that others may find disturbing, such as gore, taboo subjects, bad language and racism. These topics may crop up, particularly in stories, but please handle them sensitively. If you are going to post any material that you know others may find disturbing, please post a warning first (eg. “This chapter contains gory scenes that might disturb some people.”)
2. Do not post pornographic material
Pornography is stuff made specifically for sexual reasons. There is such a thing as tasteful nudity (see the art of Vanilla Killah for example) which is acceptable, and sometimes nudity happens in stories, but don’t take this as an excuse to post just anything. Please be sensible in what you post.
3. Only post your own work
Please do not post anything made by another person, whether they are another member, someone you know in real life or a person with a deviant art account that you looked out and went 'Whoa, that's really good! I should post that on Oddworld Forums!' You can encourage them to join OWF if you think they’re really that good.
If you didn't make it, DO NOT post it.
4. Ensure that what you are posting is worth posting
If you read the little description under the big 'Fan Corner' sign on the front page, you'll see this forum is for the posting of two things: Art and Literature. Things falling under these catergories include:
Art can include fan-games, videos and other things. But please, please, before posting, stop and ask yourself "Is this art and/or literature, or is it just stupid rubbish I made due to sleep deprivation?" If the answer is not 'art and/or literature' please refrain from posting.
5. Do not post requests for people to make a game you cannot make yourself.
It would be nice to have some huge, epic Oddworld fangames to make up for the lack of official games, but these ideas are rarely practical-if-possible within the limits of amateur ability and copyright law. Very, very few people would be interested in commiting themselves to a huge product that would take up most of their free time and energy just at the request of a member who has little or no skills in making fangames themselves.
So do not post a thread about a fangame that you have no intention of making yourself. If you do not have the skills or abilities to make a game, then do not ask other people to do so for you. If you are working on a game and would be able to complete it to some extent yourself, but need help with a certain aspect of the project, you are free to ask for assistance or advice. But do not post just to ask someone to make a game on your behalf because the odds are no one will be interested and your idea probably isn't possible.
6. Guidelines on double-posting
The Fan Corner is the only place on OWF where double posting is allowed, but only in certain circumstances.
- If you open a topic for your art or story and have new content to add while no new replies have been made, you are allowed to double post.
- If you have posted a topic to receive feedback on but haven't received any for such a long time that the topic has dropped off the 1st page, you are allowed to 'bump' the thread. If you still fail to receive feedback, you may 'bump' it a second time, but not a third.
Anything besides the above is considered as spam and will be treated as such.
7. Guidelines on thread necromancy
Again, this is another rules which we allow you to bend in FC and FC alone; you may revive an old thread if:
8. Guidelines for posting art
- You made it and wish to continue using it to post art and/or literature of the same theme that it was used for before (so to continue posting a story, etc.). This way you will only need one 'My Oddworld Art Thread' and will not have to keep posting new ones.
- If you wish to give feedback to an old thread, and the original poster is still an active poster in Oddworld Forums. If the person who posted the thread has been inactive for two months, please don't bother reviving the thread. The easiest way to check this is to look at their profile and look under their rep score to the line starting 'Last Activity:' which will tell you when they last visited the forums.
- Any threads linked to directly from the ‘Useful Fancorner links’ thread can be necromanced freely.
This is advice for people who post fan-art. I would like to advise people to post ‘gallery’ threads for their art and encourage them to use them. Rather than posting a thread for an individual picture (such as ‘my vykker picture’) I would ask that you consider instead making a thread where you can post all of your art together. This helps fans keep track of your art, as well as keeping the forum tidier. If you then start a specific art project, you may want to create a separate thread for it.
9. Guidelines for posting and viewing fangames
You may post a fangame before it is finished, but you must post screenshots.
When you post a finished game, please post screenshots then, too.
Whether you’re posting a demo or a finished game, please also post a good description of the game, including its genre (RPG, platformer, Adventure game, etc.)
These steps will help to assure people that the file you are posting is trustworthy.
If you wish to download any games, please be aware that we are not able to confirm the safety of any files you download. Please be aware that it is possible for these files to contain viruses that may harm your computer. If a game does not come with screenshots, I would recommend that you don’t download it and tell the poster to read this thread. Even if it does come with screenshots, you should always scan any file with your antivirus software before downloading it, even if it’s posted by a member you trust.
Oddworld Forums does not accept any responsibility for harm to your computer caused by downloading any files from the forums.
“If you have any further questions, please feel free to pull the lever to your right.”
News Caster Slig, MOM News, Abe’s Exoddus
In fact, if you have any questions regarding the rules feel free to PM one of the Fan Corner moderators.
Failure to follow these rules will result in the termination of your cookie.