Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 02:49 PM
Rabid Fuzzle

Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (822)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (822)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (822)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (822)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (822)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (822)Phoetux didn't even know they have a destiny (822)
Blind COVID-19

I'm near becoming a necromancer of forums with all these new threads in the last days, but I thought this topic would've been worth discussing here.

Since the first days of March most of the countries (mine included) went into lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic, forcing everyone to go into self-isolation in their own home and venture into new spacing and health security measures. First only a few nations had to go through this, but a bit later the entire world had to face this new threat.

Now the cases of infected are going down in some nations, in some (incredibly) are not.
How were your experiences in this dangerous phase all of us had to go through? And what are your expectations regarding the future, after all of this is over?
v- My other places -v

Old 07-23-2020, 07:56 PM
Outlaw Shooter

Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (901)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (901)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (901)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (901)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (901)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (901)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (901)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (901)

i had it back in March but fortunately my symptoms were very light, though i've been getting winded more often than i used to - not constantly, but it's significant.

my job was closed up until around mid-June, though i started working remotely i believe during May (very small amount of work). i was also paid normally throughout, thank god. i lucked out with that. one of the perks of being a local government employee.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:02 AM
DOES NOT COMPUTE

MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)

this corona shit has made me a little panicky if i'm honest. it hit home when it became mandatory for everyone to fucking hide indoors and wear a face mask if out and about. i'm pretty sure that has never been a thing in britain during my lifespan at least. pretty much reminds me of this dumb comic

i don't know what to think really. i'm also dubious about taking any vaccines they start flinging out to the people because it's all very rushed. i'm not an "anti-vaxxer", fuck no, but in this case it's not like they have the advantage of time in cooking up this miracle cure. how do they know for certain there won't be any long-term debilitating effects? that kind of shit has happened before, it isn't foolproof, and i'm too fucking paranoid to just blindly do as i'm told and take my medicine.

right now i'm at a fork in the road where i don't know what to do, and instead of coming to a conclusion i've decided to sit down and have a picnic at the crossroads while i think about it, even though there's no time, and even though everything around me is on fire. i don't know.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:39 PM
Wolvark Grenadier

Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)Varrok is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7769)

please don't insult gunshow comics
Old 07-28-2020, 03:30 AM
Outlaw Bomber

Oddey didn't even know they have a destiny (850)Oddey didn't even know they have a destiny (850)Oddey didn't even know they have a destiny (850)Oddey didn't even know they have a destiny (850)Oddey didn't even know they have a destiny (850)Oddey didn't even know they have a destiny (850)Oddey didn't even know they have a destiny (850)

First, the reports came out of China that they were erecting a hospital in just a week to house the sick and infected. I dismissed it as typical media palaver, designed to work people into a frenzy about something far away and that it would blow over within a month and we'd never hear of it again.

Images began to circulate showing often crowded and packed parts of China in a state of total desertion, as though humanity had been scrubbed from existence. It was surreal, but I paid it little mind and assumed it would be cleared up soon.

Somewhere after that, I saw a post on 4chan that said something to the effect of China was lying about the numbers and the actual number of infected and the death toll was absurdly high. I thought it was worrying, but I ultimately put it aside and out of my mind.

Then came the reports of Chinese borders closing and people being stuck in hotel rooms in China, where they couldn't leave and had to wait on room service to bring them food. I began to wonder what kind of illness this could be that would bring about such radical policies, but I consoled myself by saying "it's China, they're authoritarian and it's probably just them flexing a muscle".

Suddenly there was talk on the radio about the virus spreading to Europe. I paid it little credence and heard an off-hand quote from WHO claiming there was extremely little chance it would spread to Denmark or even Europe altogether and that their techniques for preventing spread of disease would stifle it immediately. So, once again, I paid it no mind. Then Italy erupted in cases and I rolled my eyes saying "of course the Italians are the ones that slip up. Never mind, we have better government here, we'll just wait it out". When other parts of Europe reported cases, though, I had a different thought: "I hope it comes here, then I can stay home from university, saving me hours of transport by bus". In my ignorance, at the time, I assumed it was much like any other flu virus and was a case of feeling queasy and ill for a week or two, then going back to normal. I joked with friends that people were overreacting to something that was merely a case of sniffles.

That is, until more detailed explanations and stories about the effects of Covid-19, the ease with which it spread and the difficulty associated with preventing infection came to light. Suddenly, rather than joking, I was concerned. I was all too happy when my university decided to close down, both because it granted me the time out of public transport that I had wanted but also because the atmosphere around had changed so dramatically that I didn't want to be in a crowded classroom.

It's been very interesting to see this problem escalate so dramatically. It's been gratifying to have some changes to daily life that I've always felt surely must be possible, such as remote learning or digital solutions over the internet. It's been worrying to feel like we know so little about a modern problem and have it revealed that advice on what to do is constantly shifting and there are no guarantees of anything. It's been nice to scratch out a huge chunk of my day-to-day that would ordinarily be devoted to transport and university and replace it with all kinds of other endeavors.

I would like to believe that at the end of this crisis, we will see lasting changes originating from this. My gut tells me we won't.

My concern for the future is in how this ends. A vaccine, from the little I've read, doesn't sound likely. Even if it does come about, it could take years to manufacture and distribute appropriately. There is, I suspect, going to be quite a long time where interactions with others are limited and our lives are dramatically different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

Old 08-03-2020, 09:43 PM
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (13222)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA View Post
how do they know for certain there won't be any long-term debilitating effects?
Because while you're right that side effects from vaccines have happened before, they know from those past times that side effects tend to show up within six months in adults. Which is why the vaccines, even though early signs are they will be effective, aren't being handed out already. They're waiting for the six months to be up to make sure there won't be side effects.

Bear in mind that they're not inventing new ways to create vaccines here. This is all established technology being used on a new virus.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:57 AM
DOES NOT COMPUTE

MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)MA is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (9370)

oh okay, thanks Nate. that's eased my mind a little.

paranoia!