Happy days are here again! More than five years after the first tried and failed attempt at holding a fanfiction competition, we're back for a second go!
Hello and Welcome to Oddworld Forums’ second (and hopefully more successful) fan-fiction competition!
This is a chance for all of OWF’s writers to pick up their pens and take up the challenge in a friendly competition to write the best short Oddworld story!
Are you up for the challenge?
What you have to do:
Write an original story set in the Oddworld universe
- You must write an Oddworld-themed short story. It can be anything you like; comedy, action, drama, whatever floats your boat!
- Your story can be up to 5000 words long; it must be equal to or shorter than this limit! If your story goes over this, any excess words will be deleted before judging!
- You can use original characters and settings and/or characters and settings from the games, but you may not use any settings or characters that you have used in another fan-story. The story must be set on Oddworld with Oddworld species.
- Your story must be totally new; it must not have been posted anywhere on the internet before, but written especially for this competition! The judges for the competition will not be told who wrote which story, so your story must not tie into any other stories which you have previously posted.
- Finally, your story must be based on a specific theme; the theme for this competition is ‘CAPTURED’, so your story must some how relate to this theme.
and based on the competition theme of ‘captured
Give it a title.
PM it to me. Your entry must not be posted in this or any other thread, nor PMed to anyone other than myself! Break this rule and your story will be disqualified! All entries will be made available for public viewing after judging has taken place.
You may announce that you have given me your entry, but you must not
tell anyone else it’s title or any details about it; this is to ensure that our judges do not know who wrote which story, as this may affect their decisions!
The closing date for the competition has been put back to November the sixteenth, 23:59 GMT
; I must have received your entry via PM by this date and time!
A select team of judges will read all of the stories anonymously (by which I mean they will not be told who wrote which story) and will score each story on the following criteria:
- Characters – How believable are the characters?
- Plot – How creative and believable is the storyline of your entry?
- Quality of writing – How easy is it to read?
- Use of the ‘captured’ theme – How well do you incorporate the theme into your story?
- Reader’s enjoyment – How much pleasure did the judges get from reading it?
They will give 10 points for each of these themes, making a potential total of 50 points per judge!
When all the results are in, they will be posted in Fan Corner along with the stories, and the winner will be recognised forever in a Fan Corner Hall of Fame! They might
also receive a custom title in honour of their success! (decision on that is awaiting admins' approval)
So pick up your pens, grab your keyboards, tune up your creativity and get writing!
Stories will be judged by a team selected by the FC mods; these may be people who are members of OWF and/or people who are not; judges are not allowed to enter the competition. All entries must comply with the regular Fan Corner rules; the FC mods reserve the right to refuse entry of any story that fails to comply with these or the competition rules.