Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

Old 09-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Fuzzle

ODDREN does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (51)
Default Stranger and PS3 - coming next easter!!!

OTLEY, WEST YORKSHIRE, UK – 3rd September, 2010 – Just Add Water (JAW) is thrilled to announce the return of the critically-acclaimed Oddworld series – with an enhanced remake of the award-winning Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath coming to PlayStation®3 next Easter.

Originally released in 2005, first- and third-person action-adventure Stranger’s Wrath marks the multi-million-selling series’ first appearance on a PlayStation® console since 1998’s Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus. The game will be made available as a digital download via PlayStation® Network.

Stewart Gilray, Managing Director of JAW, said: “Since word got out that we’ve been working with Oddworld Inhabitants there have been many rumours circulating about what we’re working on. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath is the first project in what we believe will be a long and fruitful relationship. Having the chance to update this great title and release it on PS3 is just a brilliant opportunity, not least for us, but for the fans too.”

JAW has worked closely with Oddworld founders Lorne Lanning and Sherry McKenna to ensure the remake is faithful to the original moolah-chasing epic, while offering a raft of enhancements, including: stunning 720p visuals; much more detail in the characters; normal mapping and self-shadowing; re-mastered dialogue, support for PlayStation®Move; and additional bonus material still to be revealed.

In Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, players step into the role of the Stranger, a rough and tumble bounty hunter who tracks down outlaws for moolah. Using a special weapons system that gives a whole new meaning to “live” ammo, players encounter deviant species and hostile challenges along the way.

The 2005 original has a Metacritic rating of 88, was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Animation at the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences’ Interactive Achievement Awards, and received numerous awards from the gaming press.

[ABOUT JAW] Boasting over 100 years’ combined development experience, from handheld projects all the way to multi-format AAA titles, the JAW team’s portfolio includes releases such as: Pinball Fantasies, Spec Ops, PowerMonger, Synnergist and Soldier of Fortune. The studio’s most recent release was the well-received PSN retro-shooter Gravity Crash.

http://www.jawltd.com
Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 AM
Outlaw Bomber

Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)

Great news for people with a PS3! This is an awesome thing for JAW to be doing. Well done ODDREN!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)

Wow that was a quick report

here is the link for those wondering:
http://www.jawltd.com/?p=574

I want this on the Xbox360 too!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Howler Punk

GlukkonGluk does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (69)

Oh, THAT's the first big project?! A remake of something that's already been done?? Well for me, that's a bit of an anticlimax. I've already played that! I want NEW!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Outlaw Shooter

Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)

Oh, awesome! This is something, alright. Next easter isn't far either. Can't wait for this, wow! I like the sound of a remake.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Outlaw Bomber

Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)Josh is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2925)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlukkonGluk View Post
Oh, THAT's the first big project?! A remake of something that's already been done?? Well for me, that's a bit of an anticlimax. I've already played that! I want NEW!
There's always one...

Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Howler Punk

GlukkonGluk does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (69)

Quote:
There's always one...
That's me seriously though, where's the pride in doing a REMAKE? I fully expected something new, that's what I've been led to expect. It'll be the same as when I played it in 2005, but with a slightly smaller controller. Not happy.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Outlaw Bomber

It makes it available to a wider audience and makes the graphics look all shiny and new. It also makes money.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Outlaw Shooter

Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)Alf Shall Rise didn't even know they have a destiny (752)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
It makes it available to a wider audience and makes the graphics look all shiny and new. It also makes money.
Yes, the money part is important when the other projects are worked on.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Formerly Tim Cottenham

Software Bug is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (308)Software Bug is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (308)Software Bug is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (308)Software Bug is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (308)

Better be for 360 or else I will be forced to buy a PS3 as they also already have AO and AE

Throw around some Mudokons in my game Flying Mudokons!

Need images for your Oddworld fan project? Visit The Oddworld Vector Gallery!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Outlaw Bomber

You could always get an emulator and donate some cash to OWI and JAW. That way you get the shiny new game and you can still be a good person.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:16 AM
No Artificial Colours

Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)Phylum is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5589)

You forgot criminal.

Great news, as I own a PS3
Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 AM
Just Add Water

Gilrod heeds the wisdom of the storystones (171)Gilrod heeds the wisdom of the storystones (171)

All this is jolly funny.

People need to learn the meaning of patience
Old 09-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Rabid Fuzzle

Nath does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (89)

The JAW front page is looking good with a couple of screen shots too. Looks pretty.

Just gonna have to save up to get a PS3. Kinda glad it aint till easter as It'll give me time to save money
Old 09-03-2010, 03:48 AM
Fuzzle

Rayrockslots does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (84)

Alright! More good news, just a shame it's...well, more news...

Just....more....news.

That's all we ever seem to get round here.

Abe's Blue..................Munch's Flagpole
The Stranger.............................Who Said Oddworld's Wack?
Miss Mudokon...............Oddworld Insanity

Old 09-03-2010, 03:49 AM
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)Xavier is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3515)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
The JAW front page is looking good with a couple of screen shots too. Looks pretty.

Just gonna have to save up to get a PS3. Kinda glad it aint till easter as It'll give me time to save money
Just you know, the screenshots aren't from the remastered version, I got them 5 years ago:

http://www.jawltd.com/pics/OddSWPS3-1.jpg
http://www.jawltd.com/pics/OddSWPS3-2.jpg
http://www.jawltd.com/pics/OddSWPS3-3.jpg

http://oddworldlibrary.net/archives/...=SSSW0022.jpg8
http://oddworldlibrary.net/archives/...=SSSW0220.jpg6
http://oddworldlibrary.net/archives/...=SSSW0129.jpg9

Old 09-03-2010, 03:56 AM
Cheesecake Apocalypse

Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)

But... but... I don't have a PS3. And a remake? Of Stranger?

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Gameplay wise I still think Stranger is the best game OWI has ever done.

I'm curious how the Move will work on this title if they end up including it.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:03 AM
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)Nate must be Chuck Norris or something (12769)

What's the difference between a remake and a port with improved graphics and tweaked controls?

Either way, this is a good thing.

Can we assume that this will be download-only?

Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Howler Punk

SpAM_CAN keeps ya spleen toasty (108)SpAM_CAN keeps ya spleen toasty (108)

Why exactly is this needed when the Oddbox is coming? I don't see a point. Ah well, if Abemudokon's twitter is anything to go by, there will be an Abe game at some point too.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Cheesecake Apocalypse

Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4009)

I don't really see the point either. Stranger was one of the better selling (if not best selling) Oddworld titles. Aside from better graphics and some improvements here and there, you're not offering the public anything they haven't seen or heard of before. And especially with the Oddbox coming out soon, it's kind of weird.

Unless JAW has another (completely new) project in the pipeline that's going to be released right after the Stranger remake (using Stranger as a sort of diving board to get their name back into the general audience's minds), I don't think this is going to be the epic new comeback they were hoping for.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:22 AM
Fuzzle

MuMI is sitting tight ’n’ being cool (3)

Stranger??? WTF!?
Sorry, but I don't like him alot! I personaly prefer East Mudos!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 AM
Sewer Sleg

AvengingGibbons is getting this party started, handsome (446)AvengingGibbons is getting this party started, handsome (446)AvengingGibbons is getting this party started, handsome (446)AvengingGibbons is getting this party started, handsome (446)AvengingGibbons is getting this party started, handsome (446)

When they say it's coming out at Easter, do they mean it's coming out at Easter?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:30 AM
Just Add Water

Gilrod heeds the wisdom of the storystones (171)Gilrod heeds the wisdom of the storystones (171)

re: Release date - It depends on QA, but yes end of March/Early April.

re: Why Stranger ...

1. To get something out quickly
2. To get "Oddworld" BACK on to PlayStation
3. We need time for other stuff ;-)

Stew
Old 09-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Stunk

smeghead25 managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (11)

This.
Makes.
Me.
Happy.

I never got to play Stranger's Wrath as I had a PS2. Almost bought an Xbox just to play those two Oddworld games though...

Just a question to anyone here who may have some sort of inkling *cough* Stew JAW CEO *cough*... Does that mean that Oddbox is also very much on track and possibly aiming for release before or alongside your HD version?

Any chance the Oddbox version may get updated visuals etc too?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:40 AM
Outlaw Bomber

Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)Daxter King is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (2044)

This is fucking bullshit, console exclusivity is just stupid at this point in the game, especially on fucking PS3.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 AM
Wolvark Grenadier

Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)

Whatever, I truly hope the other projects won't be just remakes.

Here are things that I, and many others probably want:

- Abe, Abe, Abe!
- 2.5D game(s).
- No exclusive titles. (This one doesn't matter as it is already out on Xbox.)
- Possibly a new game that continues the Quintology.
- Also, Oddworld merchandise would be great! (Stranger figure or Mudokon plush!)
Old 09-03-2010, 04:43 AM
Outlaw Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuMI View Post
Stranger??? WTF!?
Sorry, but I don't like him alot! I personaly prefer East Mudos!
West side represent, homie.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Chippunk

Daft.Eng managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (21)

My jaw has just hit the floor...never got the chance to play Stranger's Wrath, i never had an Xbox, so a PS3 remake is right up my alley...

Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Sgt. Sideburns

MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)MeechMunchie must be Chuck Norris or something (14217)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Gilray
All this is jolly funny.

People need to learn the meaning of patience
Waiting dutifully for 5 years patient enough for you?

But still, good news about getting something out there. I just want it on the PC already.