Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Zappfly

KraZidave managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (44)
Default ABE HD!

This is new info... right?

http://apps.facebook.com/upitone/?co...&news_id=66682

*Sorry couldn't decide on a title, tried to change it back to ABE HD! but wouldn't work.

Last edited by KraZidave; 01-29-2011 at 01:12 PM..
Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Thudslug

Elmatto753 keeps ya spleen toasty (124)Elmatto753 keeps ya spleen toasty (124)

It would appear to be true. No doubt this will make many happy.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Wolvark Grenadier

Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)Dynamithix is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (3113)

YES!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Silent Contributor

Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)

It's not a new Abe game. It's a redux of an old one.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Thudslug

Elmatto753 keeps ya spleen toasty (124)Elmatto753 keeps ya spleen toasty (124)

The title WAS, rightly, Abe HD a minute ago.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Outlaw Sniper

metroixer don't get paid enough for this bullshit (-71)

Cool let's just remake all the other games so we don't have to focus on the new ones
Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Anarcho-Apiarist

STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)STM is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5901)

I hope this doesn't make Nowtun's remake void. Good news though I suppose.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Chippunk

Paradigm managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (15)

This is (sort of) what I was alluding to in the other thread. Nice to know the info from my source was correct, although I didn't expect the announcement to be today!

Great news indeed.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Stingbee

Clannfear does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (56)

yes... Yes.. Y E S!! Finally! My dreams come true! Yoohoo, holy mother mercy, this is TRUE! Yoopi!

... I can't stand that... This is dream?... No! It's reality! My favourite game of all time (and will be that to my sweet death) will be redone... This is it! Can't wait for it guys!

It cannot be true...

P.S.

YEAH!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 PM
cun't spill

Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)Crashpunk is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (5511)

Abe's Oddysee HD!....and the mods said it won't happen!

Can't fucking wait

Old 01-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Bolamite

Mikaeel managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (11)

T R O P H I E S !
Old 01-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Stingbee

Clannfear does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (56)

Couple weeks ago, I was really dissapointed to conversions which release OWI on steam. Then, my faith for this (beloved) team was destroyed... I thought that Lanning's created world which I loved, is now mistake...

But...

29 of January's evening change everything...

Welcome back Oddworld! Ladys and gentleman, lets back to dark, creepy, breath taking places of Abe's Oddysee. Let the legend reborn in my mind and soul.

I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it!...
Old 01-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Outlaw Bomber

Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (732)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (732)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (732)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (732)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (732)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (732)Oddey has learned amuch throughout their quest (732)

Hm... I am actually somewhat anxious as to how this will turn out. The backgrounds in Abe's Oddysee will require a good deal of effort to properly recreate in full fledged 3D. There's a lot of work to be done on this. And the creepy atmosphere of the original places, will that transfer properly into a 3D engine?

But hey, it's bound to be good in some way. I look forward to hearing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

Old 01-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Posts walls of text

Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)

I'm interested to see if they change things up a little at all.

One thing that always bugged me was how the AO and AE environments are all completely 2D - maybe in the remake the walkways Abe navigates won't just all be perfectly aligned?

Does anyone get what I mean? I think I'm mangling my explanation here.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

Old 01-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Less worse

Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)Mac Sirloin is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (7645)

Ehh, I really loved Abe's Oddysee as it was. Everything about the design, specifically environments/backgrounds and sound was great. I get the eerie feeling that "3D engine" is going to translate into: "Abe ragdolls and everything looks too clean."

Old 01-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Posts walls of text

Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)Manco must be Chuck Norris or something (13779)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Sirloin View Post
Ehh, I really loved Abe's Oddysee as it was. Everything about the design, specifically environments/backgrounds and sound was great. I get the eerie feeling that "3D engine" is going to translate into: "Abe ragdolls and everything looks too clean."
I dunno, AO/AE's cutscenes worked really well, and the original level backgrounds were 3D models flattened into a 2D bitmap. I think it could work.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

Old 01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Bolamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Sirloin View Post
I get the eerie feeling that "3D engine" is going to translate into: "Abe ragdolls and everything looks too clean."
Yea, like when Abe falls from a high cliff he doesn't just slam on the ground the same way.

And when he's falling maybe they could make his spin around or somethin, who knows.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Thudslug

Rampage48 does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (61)

I think i just crapped my pants after reading this...
Old 01-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Grubb Fisherman

Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)

I'm with you all the way, Rampage. YEAH!!! ABE IN HD!!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Outlaw Cutter

Scraby keeps ya spleen toasty (132)Scraby keeps ya spleen toasty (132)

i cant wait for this

Old 01-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Sewer Sleg

AvengingGibbons is getting this party started, handsome (452)AvengingGibbons is getting this party started, handsome (452)AvengingGibbons is getting this party started, handsome (452)AvengingGibbons is getting this party started, handsome (452)AvengingGibbons is getting this party started, handsome (452)

Oh no fartuess :/ lol
Old 01-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Sniper Wasp

SligValet does more than run, jump, roll, and flip around like a fish (79)

Holy craptasket, never thought they'd *actually*do a HD remake of the old games, this is amazing... I need to go change underwear

Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Grubb Fisherman

Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)Mudokon_Master has learned amuch throughout their quest (618)

That's now 3 people who've crapped their pants, could this lead to a new era known as the crap age?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Spark Stunk

nowtun is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (316)nowtun is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (316)nowtun is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (316)nowtun is an amazingly versatile little blue guy (316)

fanfuckingtastic news!!!!!!

shame its in 2.5D though
Old 01-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Silent Contributor

Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)Sekto Springs is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4398)

Mac brings up a good point.
HD means a wall-to-wall recreation of all the graphics, sprites and backgrounds. Considering there's no feasible way to make the original art high definition (unless they have the source files, which we all agreed was highly unlikely), they would have to make it all from scratch.

The original backgrounds were so painterly. Their grunginess added such a unique charm.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Stingbee

Paul_hibs3 managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (24)

I'm going to cause I pit of pure rage on me from you guys....But...I'm disappointed with this announcement. Let me explain.

They are the same games as Lorne said but with HD graphics and probably the addition of trophies I imagine. But i've just bought Oddworld AO + AE on psn a couple of months ago and completed AO and got all 99/100 mudokons and think I'm pretty far into AE finished the slig barracks but had 2 other places to shut down before the brewery. Theres no point in me buying these games again so soon is there do you think? Since i've just recently played both of them, and its going to be an exact copy of the game, bar the graphics and trophies.

Thought we were getting new oddworld games playstation. Still buzzing on strangers wrath though

Just hope that the remakes don't use up loads of time and no doubt the strangers wrath will use up more time with patches and sounds like OWI are grinding down microsoft for an XBLA release, so I just hope I don't have to wait another year for a new oddworld game. MO to psn would shut me up
Old 01-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Zappfly

KraZidave managed to get out of the cave… Wow, so impressive (44)

"Theres no point in me buying these games again so soon"

To be fair we have no idea how far along this project is, I cant imagine it being released anytime "soon". Since this isn't just a re-mastering of the old assets but rather a complete rebuild on a new engine there's bound to be some changes and dare I say it... improvements?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Outlaw Sniper

metroixer don't get paid enough for this bullshit (-71)

There will be an EGM article on it in March so I would expect at least a 3 month wait.

If we're lucky he will also announce an HD remake of Munch's Oddysee, while not talking about any of the new games for another 6 months
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Cheesecake Apocalypse

Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)Havoc is a sacred manifestation of the hippy-dippy spirit of Great Mother OWF (4109)

Oh man, this has the potential to backfire so badly. I've never seen a game series that transfered from true 2D to any kind of 3D and coming out as an improvement. 9 out of 10 times it takes away the atmosphere, visual parts that made the game recognizable. When they remake Abe's Oddysee in semi-3D they better make it a 1:1 replica. Every single screen, every single prop, every single character completely replicated in 3D without any alterations to the 'form', so to speak.

It will be interesting to see how a 12 year old game is remade from the ground up, let's hope they do a good job and stay true to the original.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Bolamite

Maybe Lorne can record some new voices and phrases for Abe to say?

Who knows.